Share Your Story

Throughout history stories of romantic meetings are chronicled and passed down through the ages.

Now it's your turn to share your story. We want to know,
So... How Did You Meet Anyway?

Monday, November 4, 2013

And That's The Way It Is

This story starts back in the late 90’s. I was busy working, not really paying attention to the calendar. I was in my 30’s and spent most of my adult life workings in radio, TV and in my spare time working at the family farm in Cabot. Dating was not a priority. I guess I woke up one morning and said no-one is going to show up on my doorstep—so if I was ever going to get married I’d better work at this a bit. I began to date occasionally. This meant asking women out, and from time-to-time someone would suggest I date this or that person. Dating is a painful process. I am not good with rejection, so I was always fearful someone would not want to go out if I asked.  I did not ask many people out.
My fortunes changed drastically in the late summer of 1998. I was a member of a health club in Montpelier called First in Fitness. I would go there after work. I would quietly work my way to the treadmill each night. I always chose the room with the big screen TV so I could watch the news. Most nights it was on CNN, but on occasion someone would change it to Channel 3 and the local news. This was the station I worked for, so I could appear fluttering through the air most nights. One night around 6pm I was busy reading my People Magazine and watching the news out of the corner of my eye, and I appeared.
There was also a young woman five feet in front of me on a rowing machine. She saw me on TV and then whipped her head around to see me on the treadmill. She gave the look of “how could this amazing man be in two places at once?” The magic of TV struck. I made mental note to ask her out right away just as soon as she finished working out and made her way to the water fountain. At first, she rejected my first attempt to have coffee after working out. I quickly said how about tomorrow night? She said yes. So we set a date to eat out at an Italian restaurant the following evening. It all went great. I spent most of the night interviewing her because that’s what I do for a living. I ask people questions and turn their thoughts into stories. The evening did get a bit awkward when I forgot to bring my wallet and there was no money to pay for dinner. But I quickly ran in the rain to my pick-up truck and retrieved the cash. Vicky stuck with me. We were married on August 19th, 2000. A ceremony performed in a cow pasture by the Chief Justice of Vermont. We have never looked back. I am so happy I was on TV that night and Vicky made that quick glance at me. It’s how we met.